Friday, May 2, 2008

Stole of Gratitude



Graduation has come and gone (pics to come soon) and I have had some time to look back on my four years of college and remember the good and the hard times. A lot has happened over my four year period at BYU. Marriage, a baby on the way, Eric's broken back, several moves, a broken arm, an experience in writing a 30 page paper, arrythmia, and countless assignments and projects have kept me very busy. Sometimes I think I let school keep me too busy. I am grateful to all those who have put up with me and pushed me to keep going when I was tired and ready to give up. I have had amazing support from my husband, parents, parents in law, brother and sister, and countless others. From the cookies on the doorstep after a hard day of class to the phone calls, e-mails, and hugs encouraging me, I feel overwhelmed with the love I have felt as I have journeyed through school. Thank you to all of those who have made my journey a memorable and wonderful experience. I felt your support and prayers daily and I was so blessed to have people cheering me through thick and thin. Many times your kind words and thoughts were an answer to my prayers and I love you all.


Some small moments that made life wonderful:

  • Going to celebrate high school graduation with my parents

  • Moving into Glenwood

  • Having my mom here to help me get ready to start college

  • My dad helping me get a scholarship from the navy for school

  • Walking over to Lindsey and Blake's apartment to babysit, eat dinner or just enjoy their company.

  • First WalMart trip with the roommates

  • Snowboarding on the table in Glenwood with a pineapple in hand with Bonnie

  • Going to a BYU dance and drinking so much fruit punch our mouths turned red

  • Working with Lindsey and going out to eat way too much for lunch
  • Bonfires

  • Walking to Blackjacks for dinner
  • Going down a giant water slide at Rock Canyon

  • Christmas breaks

  • Reading Harry Potter during Christmas break
  • Talking to my family about how I liked Eric and then didn't like him
  • Going to Phantom of the Opera a million times when it first came out

  • Going to Moab with Eric

  • Having my dad laugh at the idea of me going to Moab with Eric for 5 minutes

  • Getting engaged to Eric

  • Planning a wedding in two weeks
  • Getting married and loving every minute of our wedding day
  • Moving into our first apartment after getting married
  • Discovering the Disney channel
  • Getting new clothes every once in awhile
  • Late night dollar store runs
  • Spending the night at Lindsey and Blake's house and eating grapes and being hyper all night
  • Going to general conference
  • Getting e-mails from my dad

  • Going to Yellowstone
  • Getting holiday treats in the mail
  • Going to lunch with my Auntie B
  • Going to Lindsey and Blake's house after my first anatomy class to cry

  • Trips to the outlet mall
  • Going a good run
  • Getting a belated mother's day gift from Eric
  • Teaching primary

  • Going on hikes
  • Talking to my mom on the phone

  • Going to the scera pool
  • Coming home to find a new bedspread and sheets on our bed

  • Going to Lake Tahoe
  • Cheating and eating dark chocolate every once in awhile
  • Sitting and talking to family on Sundays

  • Pizza factory with Steven and Eric
  • Getting cute notes from Eric
  • Playing board games and learning Egyptian Ratscrews

  • Rediscovering how good Papa Murphey's pizza is

  • Having Steven come do laundry at our house on Sundays

  • Going to the temple
  • Having so much emotional and financial support when Eric broke his back

  • Getting ready to have a baby
  • Getting my back scratched or rubbed
  • Going to Lindsey and Blake's for dinner and to play games
  • Falling asleep by the fire instead of doing homework
  • Walking on campus during the spring
  • Walking to my car after getting a good grade on a test
  • Wearing sweats
  • Eric making me nachos or a cheese crisp when I had morning sickness
  • Spotting my family at commencement and waving
  • Shaking Elder L. Tom Perry's hand during graduation
  • Not being able to wipe the smile off my face as I walked across the stage to get my diploma

3 comments:

jax from the harmon squad said...

Congrats!!!!! I get to walk next week but I don't officially graduate until August, but I'm definitely looking forward to it! Like you, I'm a little bittersweet about the whole experience, so much has happened since I went to college. But what I want to know is: why did you cry after your first anatomy class?

Laci Harper said...

I used to have a terrible fear of dead bodies...I still have a not so bad fear but it was not a fun experience having to go each week anatomy. I am very glad that is over with!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Laci! This is such a great accomplishment and I am so very proud of you and all of your hard work!! It seems like just yesterday that I was putting you on the kindergarten bus and wondering what life had in store for you. You have come a long way baby and have done so well. Love you lots and look forward to your mommy days.