Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Person of Lists


From the first day of Junior High I have had a planner. My school used to give out free daily planners each year and I enjoyed writing my life down into my planner. When college hit, one of my favorite things to do at the beginning of each semester was to write down all of my assignments for the entire semester for each class and plan out everything. (Nerdy, I know.) Without my planner I would have been lost...I had all my assignments, classes, tests, daily tasks, activities, and to-do lists compiled in my little planner.

Recently, I have been thinking about my planner and my lists a lot. My list always gives me something to do; however, often I find myself getting too wrapped up in making sure everything is crossed off the list. I find it hard to sit still if I have one more thing waiting to be crossed off. My never ending list makes it hard to enjoy life for myself as well as for others around me. No one likes to feel like a list has to be accomplished before you can spend time with them...and I know I have made people feel like this more than once.

After all my thinking I have decided something....my list is gone. Sure I will write things down that I need to remember still and I will still like planning ahead but I never want to put my list first in my life again. In the eternal scheme of things if the floor doesn't get swept, the dishes sit in the sink, or if work is left undone, who cares? If my time is spent with family and friends, learning about the gospel, and even relaxing sometimes I will be better off because of it.

It's time to reprioritize and get on with my life. Structure is good in life and being busy is nice but there is so much more to life than filling time with deadlines and check marks on a list. I want to live, I want to love, and that is what I plan to do.


Good bye list...I can say I won't miss you!

0 comments: